Saturday, September 25, 2010

JavaOne 2010

JavaOne 2010 is officially over but for me it's still going on. I had the opportunity to give a technical presentation and lead a BOF (Bird Of a Feather) talk as well. PDF files of the slides for both are posted on the Oracle OpenWorld, JavaOne, and Oracle Develop On Demand web site. As far as I know, you must have attended one of the three conferences to have access, so I'm looking at posting the files to GitHub too. I'll update this post with the URL once they're up there. I'll post more about JavaOne after I've had a chance to catch up on my sleep.

I got back Friday morning around 6:00 AM, crashed for a couple hours, then got in line for registration at the No Fluff Just Stuff Software Symposium. It starts at noon on Friday and ends around 8:00PM; then goes all day Saturday and Sunday.

Normally, I stay for the dinner and KeyNote on Friday but not this time. My friend Charlie and I missed the dinner and keynote so we could attend a special Google Technology User Group meeting where Josh Marinacci of the Palm Developer Relations team talked about (and demo'd) cross-device mobile app development. Josh was involved with Swing and JavaFX before leaving Sun, and now he's with HP evangelizing the WebOS platform and cross platform development. He's scary smart and very passionate about user interfaces and user experience and I'm already looking forward to the next opportunity I have to see him present.

Needless to say, this has been a long week. Very fun with lots of opportunities to meet interesting people, sharpen my skills, and learn about new technologies and processes - but I wouldn't recommend making a habit of it.

If you were at JavaOne - especially if you attended one of my sessions - please take a moment to leave a comment. Same goes for you NFJS folks and GTUG members.

Next week's shaping up to be busy too and I expect I'll be posting something about the Big Texas Android BBQ about ten days from now.

Over. (That means it's your turn to talk - or in this case post a comment.)

1 comment:

  1. This year Java one had so many events unfortunately I was not able to attend this year :(

    ReplyDelete