Friday, February 5, 2010

Burk on Books - 97 Things Every Programmer Should Know

A little less than a year ago I told you about "97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know," a ground-breaking book O'Reilly had just published. I was very excited about the book for two reasons. The first is that the contents were contributed by experts from around the world under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license, which means it's kind of an open source book. The second thing is that I wrote two of the 97 things chosen to be in the book.

If you read that post then you might share my feeling of deja-vu when I tell you that in a couple of weeks O'Reilly will publish a new "97 Things" book. This one is titled "97 Things Every Programmer Should Know" and once again I wrote two of the 97 things appearing in the book.

I'm hoping that programmers of all stripes will find the contents useful and interesting enough that it outsells the first book. If you'd like to take a sneak peek at the articles, they're available at the O'Reilly web site's 97 Things wiki.

If you like what you find there, please consider buying the book. No, I'm not suggesting you buy the book because I'm looking for a big royalty check. Remember the Creative Commons License I told you about? The only "payment" a contributing author gets is a free copy of the book. I want to boost sales for three reasons:
  1. I think most developers will find it a valuable resource.
  2. I think that good book sales will encourage O'Reilly to keep adding books to the series
  3. I've got an idea for a 97 Things book I want to see in print.
If you do read the articles, please leave a comment here or send me an email. I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for your time and attention,
Burk Hufnagel

1 comment:

  1. InfoQ interviewed Kevlin Henney about the book last September, asking things like why programmers after architects, and why 97 things and not some other number?

    If you're interested, here's the URL: http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/09/97-things

    Cheers,
    Burk

    ReplyDelete